Indoor Recess-What do you do?

The question is, what do YOU do when your sweet babies are stuck inside for indoor recess? I see recess as such a valuable social time for my students. It kills me when they can't go outside and see their other friends that may not be in our class.

I also hate to show a movie and make my kids sit in silence. Again, it's my issue with it being their social time. I want my kiddos to talk and communicate with each other outside of academic conversation.

With all of this in mind, I set out last summer to find some fun indoor recess activities. Where did I go? Well, yard sales, of course. I picked up little games and toys throughout my excursions. I found a a rockin' deal on a Discovery Kids: Construction Fort . I found some different marble race games, some board games, and some magnet sets. I thought I was in heaven. UNTIL...

I sent home a Classroom Wishlist this past week. On it I had various supplies we were running low on, as well as some indoor recess games. I even included another set  of those Construction forts. My kiddos love that thing and are constantly trying to make the biggest one that would fit the most amount of people. After sending that wishlist home, I didn't think much more about it.

A mom of one of my students called to tell me she had a fort building kit, but it was not the Discovery Kids. The obsessive nature in me kind of shut down her idea because I needed the DK one. It's what my kids loved. Really, Lauren? These kids are 7, they will love any type of fort!

Check it out:

This is the Cranium Super Fort. It uses rods that have foam on the outside and magnetic pegs for all the little connectors. It even has some walls, windows, and doors. I hit the lottery because this momma donated 4 sets of these bad boys to our class. We can literally make a fort that can fit the entire class inside. It is awesome!


So I was sitting in my classroom just observing during recess yesterday. I was fascinated by what I was seeing and hearing. First of all, my kids truly wanted to play together and this was something my whole class could participate on. I saw them trading pieces and parts and even drawing out floor plans. I loved it. I had snagged my teacher friend and told her to watch through my classroom window because my kiddos were lovin' it. Another teacher even commented how she wanted to be in my class because she walked past and noticed how much my students were loving their new fort set.

So even though the weather is not very cheerful and bright out there, don't let it take away from your possibilities while you are stuck indoors! Happy Indoor Recess Season to you!

Ahh, yes, and please do not forget....

December 14th is R.A.K. (Random Act of Kindness Day). This is to honor and remember all those affected by the Sandy Hook school shooting that took place one year ago.

As educators, we remember and honor our fallen colleagues and their students from Sandy Hook School.  We honor them each day in our classrooms in which we continue their dream of teaching our children.  We honor their memory with our service.  Join with teachers everywhere in committing random acts of kindness to show our love for Sandy Hook.


No comments

Back to Top